The cats are magical animals and mysterious, true companions for life and adventures. However, although this animal has been present in our homes for several centuries, we do not always have the right knowledge about this feline. So here are 10 interesting facts about cats that you may not know :
- Boxes: cats love boxes protected on three sides since in this way they can realize what is happening around them in conditions of relative safety.
- Purring: cats purr to express happiness and well-being. An attitude that they learn in a few days of life, and that they use to communicate with their mother.
- Dough: the cats “knead”, that is they move the legs forward. Originally, this is the way they use to stimulate breast milk. As adults, it is an attitude of seeking comfort.
- Catnip: Catnip is a substance that makes cats particularly euphoric. A sort of drug they are crazy about!
- Similarities: cats seem apparently more similar to each other than they do with other animals (dogs). However, it is a legend, given that the number of cat breeds is very large…
- Water: cats are quite annoyed by water. This probably derives from their origin, given that the first ancestors of the cats lived in a particularly arid Egyptian area …
- Men: cats don’t always have a good relationship with men. Which does not mean that they manifest hatred: it is simply an indifference determined by the fact that cats do not always need their two-legged companions.
- Taming: cats can hardly be completely domesticated. It is easier to teach them some advice instead.
- Christmas trees: cats love to climb Christmas trees. However, there is no scientific reason: probably, it’s just curiosity!
- Pipì per casa: there are many reasons why a cat does pipù for home. It can be spite, a symptom of infection or something else.
This is how cats have become friends of man
Men and cats have known and loved each other for about 10,000 years. But how did our feline friends become “domestic”, while maintaining particularly significant predatory and independent instincts?
The answer comes from recent research that discovered a cat buried with all the honors, next to a man, about 10 thousand years ago, in Cyprus. A discovery that suggests that at that time the relationship between men and felines was very old and that it was confirmed by the discovery made some years ago when in a Chinese village were found remains of some cats who lived at least 5,000 years ago, near the peasants.
The bones found (including a mandible and a pelvic bone) have been found close to remains of pottery, stone tools and bones of some animals in an archaeological site similar to a large “dustbin”. The radiocarbon analysis carried out on the bones removed any doubt: these cats ate millet, and fed on rodents. Other elements also confirmed the clues: the community had problems with rodents and used cats as an allied “weapon” to defeat this prejudice for the health of the place.
Not only: the remains show that the cat was at least six years old, an age certainly difficult to reach for a wild cat. It will now be necessary to proceed with the identification of the species of belonging, and of other elements that could improve our knowledge with the ancient ancestors of domestic cats.